Thursday, August 03, 2006

The French and The Spanish

With a little bit of sleep and some food i grabbed from the supermarket in Milan i was raring to take on the sites and sounds of Nice... I made my way to the tourist office and found myself chatting to a couple of young (18, 19) who i thought were both American, but no one was German/American and the other Canadian... turns out they were staying at the same hostel as me and we ended up spending that day together at the beach...

I told them of my dramas with cash and what not and said that i would be sweet as soon as i went to the bank to take out money from my credit card... well, dramatic pause... the last money to come off my credit card put it top the max and i couldnt withdraw any more money until it had been topped up plus i couldnt acces any other money until wenesday from my tracellex card...

With the help of Franny, and Amy (a massive thankyou to you both, you are beautiful girls and your parents should be proud, for not accepting candy, but for helping a young backpacker in desperate need), who spotted me some cash, both on extreme budgets as well mind you, for a couple of days... They even paid for my train ticket to Cannes for the day... The beach is GOLD i tells ya in Cannes... The water sparkles with gold and so does the beach... just perfect...

...After a couple of tanning on the beach by day and nights singing songs with some crazy Norwegiens, also on the beach, i took the girls out to dinner and repayed the money plus interest i owed...

...Franny a massive music fan, gave me heaps of music to look up when i get home, and i showed her some aussie bands on my ipod... We have a new Butler Trio Fan to spread the word....

I have to say that those girls were completely an odd couple (and i don't mean lesbian, grow up), they had met in high school when they had both moved to Florida and were almost complete opposites in everyway except their big hearts and good nature.... Amy a, a lovely (the best word to describe her) country girl, and a bright young, author, who would never say a bad word about anyone, and Franny a bit of a punk rocking rebel... It was brilliant and made me smile everyday... although they live in completely different places in the world, they were the best of friends and will be forever...

I said goodbye to the girls as they headed for France on the Wednesday and my train didn't leave until later that night so i musted up all my energy and climbed up to the waterfall that had been looming over the old city of Nice everyday... it was well worth the walk... the views were second to none and it helped burn some excess kilos that i seem to have gained...

That night was the one of the semi Finals for the World Cup, i can't remember what game, but i do remember our train being delayed because someone had jumped in front of the track about 4km up the way... hmmm nasty....

So not knowing when the train would leave i decided i would risk it and get some supplies for the trip... there wre plenty of American travellers on board and collected a small shopping list... yes, there was alcohol on the list.

Sprinting like i was running the 400m relay, promising myself not to drop the batton (well shopping bag). and i made it back with a couple of minutes spare.. actually no, i ran back twice... haha...

Barcelona and a familar face the next day... The doff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home